Thursday, May 26, 2005

The Calder Guitar Case Story Ch 1 Why ? + First pic

2003 WHY? - MONEY + LOVE OF GUITARS, DESIGN AND LUGGAGE.
I had some money from my time at Discovery Channel but it wasn't going to last long at the rate we spent it. A largeish house, a wife who's motto is 'more is better' and 6 year old twins are an expensive combo...so I needed to make money. All my life I'd had a passion for design and good luggage and now I could combine this with my love guitars and see if I could make a business.

April 03 GUITAR CASES ?
[Don't make guitar cases if you want to impress people at parties...]
So far as I can recall the notion of guitar cases came from:
- my frustration with my guitar cases and gig bags - one too heavy the other too flimsy and both ugly.
- seeing lots of guys around London carrying guitars in similar cases/ bags.
- reading The Art of Innovation by Tom Kelly from IDEO.

Nov 03 TEST THE IDEA ON PEOPLE YOU CAN TRUST TO BE BRUTAL
I tried out the guitar case idea on a couple of friends - one a business guy the other a designer - hey they liked it. Maybe this wasn't just a dumb idea.

Nov 03 THE FIRST IMAGE (...I can find just now)
I started with a scale drawing of my Fender Strat hard case and simpy drew shapes inside the rectangle - and here's what I came up with Early notebook sketch profile


categories: early development

Calder blog homepage
Calder website homepage

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home