Friday, January 12, 2007

Utility, simplicity, grace - inspirational objects

In preparation for our launch I've been working on ways to explain my approach to design. As part of the process I'm posting photos of some of the objects that are most important to me.

The Fender Telecaster - a block of machine carved wood - plain, unadorned, tough. To my eye the slab-simplicity of the Tele is a way more timeless and powerful symbol of rock music than the curvy Strat which followed.

Telecaster_photo.jpg

Zippo lighters are another great example of totally simple engineering. A plain metal box with perfect proportions, robust construction and evoking images of tough private eyes and GI's. I especially like the way the brass models age.

Old Zippo brass.jpg

The 2CV (of which I am a proud owner) was designed for French farmers. A tough little utility vehicle created with Gallic flair and intelligence. Great to drive, cheap to run, easy to repair and full of clever details - these cars go on for ever.

2cv design photo.jpg

Some unknown person took a tin can -bent it a bit, put a handle on it, painted it green and created this vase. To recycle a mundane object into such a pleasing thing is to me a little piece of genius - giving me a huge amount of pleasure.

IMG_4436.JPG

I inherited this glass and don't know its origins - my guess is it is French circa 1930. The glass is terrifyingly thin and an exquisite shade of green. The shape is a unique and perfect expression of a traditional design - another little piece of genius.

French glass cropped

So, a couple of tough American icons, a symbol of French quirkyness, a piece of English DIY in tin and a very fragile glass -
all combine utility, simplicity and grace. By 'grace' I mean they represent some happy coming together of shape and function in a way that gives me deep satisfaction.

I'll be developing these thoughts next week.

categories: thoughts on design


Calder blog home page
Calder website home page

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home