Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Calder violin case #1 complete + final bow holder

Last Friday Johan finished fitting out Calder violin case #1. After so much time in development it is deeply satisfying for Johan, Barry and myself to have one case complete. Here's some rough shots - prettier ones will follow.

DSC00025.JPG

DSC00029.JPG

And this is the final bow holder design. I wanted something totally simple using leather only. The bow rests on a loop of leather and the strap simply flips over and is held in place with rare earth magnets.

Bow holder cu closed

Bow holder cu open

category: Violin case

Calder blog home page
Calder website home page

2 Comments:

Blogger D.Evans said...

Simple, elegant solution for the bow holder. I only have 1 question, which I assume you have an answer for.

Most of the violing bow holders I have seen use satin straps, not leather. While I understand the aesthetic motivation for the deviation, I am curious about the long-term saftey (for teh bow) of this material selection. Are you at all concerned about tanning chemicals perhaps interacting with finish resins or the hair itself over time? I also wonder if the leather is inherently more abrasive than a traditional satin. Perhaps satin or silk lining for the leather strap would be advisable, but this is purely speculation.

-Dave

8:49 PM  
Blogger Nick CC said...

Dave - glad you like what we're doing.

I'm interested in your suggestion about using satin.

I've discussed the design with a top UK bow maker and he didn't raise any questions about the use of leather. The leather we use is very fine quality calf skin and I'd say it was less abrasive than satin.

That said I'll keep researching and it would not be difficult to line the holder with another material.

9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home