Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Keith Richards' Louis Vuitton guitar case

After 3 years developing a guitar case fit for the finest guitars it was a suprise to come across Annie Leibovitz striking image of Keith Richards with a Louis Vuitton guitar case casually by his side.

My first reaction was shock - there was a giant on my patch. And then disappointment - I have a great regard for Mr Richards and have harboured a dream that one day he might have one of my cases.

And I was disconcerted because I'd planned a very similar sort of image for my marketing - my case off center in a cool location with musicians. My idea had been for a working environment - recording studio - bar - with smoke and drink and musicians' mess.

And thinking along those lines the LV image begs all kinds of questions. Why is there no smoke and booze ? The whole thing is so sedate - Mr Richard looks intense - with a cup of coffee ? And why an unplugged electric guitar ? Yes I've played my electric unplugged in hotel rooms but that's because I'm a polite Englishman and not a rock legend.

All that said I take comfort that the LV work gives credence to the notion that truly great musicians and truly great guitars deserve exceptional cases - I'll drink to that.

Keith LV .jpg

Here's a reminder of what the Calder guitar case looks like

Calder electric closed

There are more shots of our case on the Calder website and here on this blog.

categories: electric guitar case

Calder blog home page
Calder website home page

3 Comments:

Blogger G. said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:10 PM  
Blogger G. said...

I must admit to also having been a little shocked at this ad when I saw it recently. 'Sedate' is exactly the right word, but I think that was the angle they were going for to be honest; Keith looking at his most rock'n'roll but fundamentally still English - drinking tea and reading something literary with a magnifier. I was more disappointed that the case just looked like an off-the-shelf metal frame case with LV branding all over it. Seemed to me to be honest, just a way of shoehorning a rock'n'roll endorsement and I doubted whether the case even exists in their catalogue - certainly searching "guitar" on their website yields no results...

I found your site yesterday whilst looking for a new case for my Ric bass and love your designs. Sadly, you are way out of my price range and for now will have to settle for pure practicality. I wish you all the best with your work though; I'm full of admiration for the aesthetic and practical targets you are setting yourselves.

George

1:11 PM  
Blogger Ezequiel Galasso said...

Nick: Awesome work..I'm a great fun of your designs.
Greetings from Argentina, check out my blog.

8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home